to do what’s right for clients. The courage to battle for the best results.
Photo of George C. Kezemides

Were You Injured By A Drunk Driver?

After a car accident, you may have a medical emergency as well as many practical problems to solve all at once. Medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering may soon seem overwhelming. Besides challenges such as treatments, therapy and time to heal, a key question to confront is: Why did this happen? If another motorist struck your vehicle, an investigation may reveal that they were driving drunk. What will this mean for your injury claim?

The criminal justice system may penalize the driver who was under the influence of alcohol. However, your primary concern is to pursue the financial support that you need through a personal injury lawsuit. To address all legal issues with confidence, turn to an experienced drunk driving accident attorney in the Tampa Bay area. I am personal injury attorney George C. Kezemides, and I invite you to contact my law firm – George C. Kezemides, P.A. – to request a free consultation.

You Might Have A Case Against More Than Just The Drunk Driver

An inebriated driver might not be the only negligent party to investigate after a drunk driving crash. If I represent you after you have been injured by a drunk driver, I will look for evidence, including what happened in the minutes and hours before the collision.

Was this an underaged drunk driver, and if so, who illegally gave or sold them alcohol? A negligent social host may share some responsibility for your injuries. If the driver was an adult, did servers in a bar or restaurant ignore their intoxicated appearance? If the staff at a commercial establishment kept serving them beer, wine or hard liquor despite their obviously drunken state, you may bring a negligence lawsuit – called a dram shop claim – against that business or host.

Proving a driver’s drunkenness may strengthen the legal elements of negligence and liability in your injury claim in Florida. As a former prosecutor and insurance defense attorney, I will monitor all relevant facts such as another driver’s drunk driving to enhance your case.

Frequently Asked Questions About Drunk Driving Accidents

It’s common to feel overwhelmed after a car crash, especially one involving a drunk driver. Here are answers to some questions you may be facing.

What kinds of compensation can I get for a drunk driving accident?

You can pursue compensation for your:

  • Medical bills and other injury-related expenses
  • Lost income for work you missed due to the accident
  • Disability, scarring or disfigurement resulting from the crash
  • Damage to your property

In addition, you may have grounds to pursue punitive damages against the drunk driver. This is an additional financial award that’s designed to punish the driver for being so reckless.

Additional forms of compensation are available in fatal accident cases.

Do I have to wait for the criminal case to conclude before pursuing a lawsuit?

No. A drunk driving accident lawsuit is a civil case, which means it’s separate from the criminal proceeding. You can sue the drunk driver even if they never face criminal charges or get convicted. In fact, the sooner you take action, the better. Criminal cases often take a long time. You don’t want to waste time or risk missing out on your right to compensation.

Do I need a lawyer for a drunk driving case?

While you aren’t required to have a lawyer, you will almost certainly get a better result if you do. Drunk driving cases often involve high financial stakes. These cases can be more complex because of dram shop laws. It takes a skilled attorney to navigate the legal nuances. Without one, you could miss out on significant compensation.

Free Consultations For Drunk Driving Cases

I am known as diligent, determined, attentive and responsive. I typically respond to clients within 24 hours. I handle auto accident cases on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe attorney fees unless I recover compensation for you.

To schedule a no-obligation consultation with me about your accident involving a drunk driver, call 727-490-9303 or reach George C. Kezemides, P.A., through a simple inquiry form. I represent injured people and surviving family members throughout the Tampa Bay area from my office in Tarpon Springs.